Originally built as a radio factory in 1925, Tufts acquired
the building in 1930. On June 5, 1940, the building was dedicated
as the Hooper Laboratories for Electrical Engineering in honor of
William J. Hooper, A1877, G1878, H1898, a former Tufts professor
instrumental in the founding of the Department of Electrical Engineering.
Thanks to generous donations from William J. Halligan, E1923, H1937,
and his wife Katherine Halligan, the building was rededicated in 1983.
Improvements to the hall were made throughout the mid-1980s, but
none as extensive as the recent remodel.
The concept design process began in July 2011 as the athletics
department began to relocate to space in
newly redesigned Steve Tisch
Sports and Fitness Center. The focus of the renovation was to provide
quality interaction spaces for the students and faculty, though many
improvements were also made to energy efficiency and accessibility.
The design incorporates new windows and utilities including a modular
HVAC system that can be expanded and adapted for future renovations. The
building is now handicapped accessible, with upgraded bathrooms and an
elevator. The building also received an external facelift. The parapet
on the façade was replaced with a horizontal patina copper molding to
match the neighboring fitness center, completed in fall 2012.
Many efforts to bring in more natural light were incorporated into the
design. Although the original roof featured skylights, the roof was replaced
and solar tubes were used to bring daylight into open areas. Additionally,
transoms were placed in as many openings as possible to allow daylight
into the interior spaces.
Students also say they are happy with the aesthetically pleasing yet
practical improvements. Marcella Hastings, E15, says, "Providing more
collaborative space, areas for people to sit together and write on
whiteboards, is essential for building a community within the department.
The new space is bright, open, inviting--the physical appearance of
the building finally matches the atmosphere created by the students
and professors that are a part of it."
The grand re-opening of Halligan Hall took place on October 30, 2013.
Another ceremony will be held in the spring for alumni and students.
Read another story on the Halligan renovation in the Fall 2013
Blueprint magazine (page
—Jane Carter is Communications Assistant at Tufts School of