Funding Sources |
Magneto-sensitive (MS) Materials
Nonlinear Magnetoelastic Deformations
Magneto-sensitive (MS) elastomers are materials that change their
mechanical behavior in response to the application of magnetic fields. They
have attracted considerable interest recently because of their potential for
providing relatively simple and quiet variable-stiffness devices for use as
rapid-response interfaces between electronic controls and mechanical
systems. Applications include adaptive tuned vibration absorbers, stiffness
tunable mounts and suspensions and automotive bushing. Typically, the
magnetic response is achieved and optimized by distributing within an
elastomeric matrix particles with a high magnetic saturation, such as an
alloy of iron, and volume fractions between 0.1 and 0.5. The choice of the
matrix material is based on its thermomechanical properties and, for
example, silicone and other elastomers are also used.
have developed several alternative formulations of the governing equilibrium
equations for nonlinear magnetoelastic deformations of magneto-sensitive
solids, and have applied the theory in the solution of several illustrative
boundary-value problems. In our paper on Nonlinear Magnetoelastic
Deformations (QJMAM 2004) we provide a new, rather elegant and simple
formulation based on the use of a modified free-energy function with the
referential magnetic induction vector as the independent magnetic variable.
We also provided an alternative formulation with the magnetic field itself
as the independent variable.
- Bustamante R, Dorfmann A, Ogden RW (2011) Numerical solution of finite geometry
boundary-value problems in nonlinear magnetoelasticity.
Int J Solids Struct 48:874-883.
- Bustamante R, Dorfmann A, Ogden RW (2008) On Variational Formulations
in Nonlinear Magnetoelastostatics.
Math Mech Solids
- Bustamante R, Dorfmann A, Ogden RW (2007) A Nonlinear Magnetoelastic Tube under
Extension and Inflation in an Axial Magnetic Field: Numerical Solution.
J Eng Math
- Bustamante R, Dorfmann A, Ogden RW (2006) Universal Relations in Isotropic
Nonlinear Magnetoelasticity. The Q J Mech Appl Math 59:435-450.
- Dorfmann A, Ogden RW (2005) Some Problems in Nonlinear Magnetoelasticity.
Z Angew Math Phys
- Dorfmann A, Ogden RW (2004) Nonlinear Magnetoelastic Deformations.
The Q J Mech Appl Math
- Dorfmann A, Ogden RW, Saccomandi G (2004) Universal Relations
for Magnetoelastic Solids. Int J Nonlinear Mech 39:1699-1708.
- Dorfmann A, Ogden RW (2003) Magnetoelastic Modelling of
Elastomers. European Journal of Mechanics - A/Solids
- Brigadnov I.A, Dorfmann A (2003) Mathematical Modelling of
Magneto-Sensitive Elastomers. Int J Solids Struct 40:4659-4674.
|© 2017 Tufts University, School of Engineering.
All rights reserved. Site designed & maintained by Tufts Technology Services (TTS).