Medford, MA 02155
Tel: 617.627.3211 (dept)
Professor Emeritus, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Mass. Institute of Technology, Ph. D. in Civil Engineering, February 1973
(Thesis Title: "Undrained Creep of a Soft Foundation
Mass. Institute of Technology, M.S. in Civil Engineering,
(Thesis Title: "The Effect of Simple Shear Stress
System on the Strength of Saturated Clays")
Tufts University, B.S. in Civil Engineering
(summa), June 1966
CEE 142 Advanced Soil Mechanics
CEE 145 Computer Applications in Geotechnical Engineering
CEE 146 Foundation Engineering
ES 5 Mechanics; Statistics and Dynamics
Appointments at Tufts University
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor (1989 to present)
- Associate Professor (1975 to 1989)
- Assistant Professor (1973 to 1975)
- Instructor (1967 to 1970)
- Chair (1992 to 1998)
- Acting Chair (1984 to 1985)
- School of Engineering
- Associate Dean (2004 to 2012)
Appointments at Other Institutions
- Haley and Aldrich Inc. Cambridge, MA (on sabbatical leave from Tufts
University), June 1990 - December 1990
- Norwegian Geotechnical Institute Oslo, Norway (Research Fellow on sabbatical
leave from Tufts University), August 1980 - July 1981, January - June 2003, January - June 2008.
Honorary Societies and Awards
- Henry and Madeline Fischer Award as 2003 - 2004 Engineering Teacher of the Year. Tufts University
- ASCE Fellow
- Society of the Sigma Xi, M.I.T. Chapter
- Tau Beta Pi, Mass Delta Chapter (Tufts)
- Chi Epsilon (National Civil Engineering Honorary Society)
- Mass. Institute of Technology - June 1971 - August 1972 N.S.F. Science Faculty
- Mass. Institute of Technology - Jonathan Whitney Fellowship 1966-67
- Order of the Engineer (Tufts)
Professional Society Activity
- Foundation for Professional Practice of ASCE and ASFE, Governor, 2001-2003
ASFE/Foundation for Professional Practice representative on ASFE/ASCE Professional
Practice and Ethics Leadership Award Committee, Chair 2007-2008.
- The Engineering Center Education Trust, Trustee July 1994 - present. Chair
of Library Committee, Vice-Chair(1996-97), Secretary(1999-2000)
- Association of Soil and Foundation Engineers, Tufts University
- American society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) - Boston Society of Civil Engineers
Section (BSCES) - president 1989-1990.
- International Society of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering.
- International Association of Drilled Shaft Contractors (ADSC) - Technical
- Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, Tufts University
- Association of Soil and Foundation Engineers (ASFE).
- Engineer-in-training Certificate, 826, July 22, 1966
- Registered Professional Engineer, MA Certificate 29016, February 24, 1978
Industrial Experience - Consulting and Research
- Haley and Aldrich, Inc., Cambridge, MA - 1966-1969 (summers), 1981-1984
- Goldberg-Zoino and Associates, Inc., Newton Upper Falls, MA - 1970, 1973
to 1980 (part-time)
- Stone and Webster Engineering Corporation, Boston, MA - June 1976 - May 1978
- Private Consulting Assignments
Grants, Contracts and Awards
- "Friction Pile Capacities in Vermont Silt", State of Vermont Department
of Highways and U.S. Department of Transportation 1967-1969.
- "Dynamic Soils Laboratory Test Equipment", National Science
Foundation, Instructional Scientific-Equipment Program. 1975-76.
- "Postdoctoral Research Fellowship", Royal Norwegian Council
for Scientific and Industrial Research 1980-81.
- Innovative Teaching Award by Experimental College for
Development of course on Toxic Waste Management. 1983.
- "Highway Design for Frost Susceptible Soils", Massachusetts
Department of Public Works. 1985-87.
- "Submarine Slope Instabilities", Tufts Faculty Research Award. 1985.
- "Direct Simple Shear Apparatus", Loan agreement with U.S.
Army Corps of Engineers, Waterways Experiment Station. 1985-88.
- "Field Station Feasibility Study", Tufts University Center
for Environmental Management, U.S. EPA, 1987-88.
- "A Model for Predicting Long-Term Landfill Settlements",
Tufts University Center for Environmental Management, U.S. EPA,
- "Design of Drilled Shafts for Strain Pole and Mast Arm
Foundations", Massachusetts Department of Public Works,
- GZA Fellowship in Geoenvironmental Engineering, 1991-1192.
- "Northeast Regional Academic Center for Institute for
Professional Practice, 1992-.
- Project Bridge, Development of K-12 Curriculum Materials, with K. Camara,
Tufts Education Department. NSF and Pew Trust, 1994.
- "Remediation of PCB Contaminated Sediments", Technical Support to
Housatonic River Initiative, with Tufts CEM, Anne Marie Desmarais,
and James Noble, US EPA, 1994.
- "Infrastructure Systems, Services and Climate Change: Integrated Impacts
and Response Strategies for the Metropolitan Boston Area", non-PI
participant, US EPA.
- "Research Fellowship", Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI),
Geohazards Center of Excellence, January-June 2003.
- "Digital Boston Geotechnical Data Base", 2003-2005, Berger Family Tech.
Transfer Endowment, Tufts University, Laurie Baise (PI).