Mark A. Woodin
Senior Lecturer, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Research Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Senior Lecturer, Department of Public Health and Community Medicine
Greetings! I hold faculty appointments at three separate Tufts University schools.
My primary appointment is Senior Lecturer in the Department of Civil and
Environmental Engineering, where I've taught since 1992. In 1996,
I was appointed Lecturer in the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health
(now Public Health and Community Medicine) at Tufts Medical School and in 1999,
I was appointed Lecturer at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy.
In 2002, I became the director of the Graduate Certificate Program in Epidemiology.
From 2005 to 2012, I was the Concentration Leader of the Epidemiology
and Biostatistics track in the Master of Public Health (MPH) Program,
which is offered by the Public Health and Professional Degrees Program on
the Medical School campus. I am the Director of the Bachelors-MPH dual degree
program which allows Tufts undergraduates to earn both their Bachelors and
MPH degrees in five years.
- NIH Post-doctoral fellowship at Harvard University School of Public Health, 1998-1999
- Sc.D. in Epidemiology (concentration areas: Occupational Epidemiology, Biostatistics,
and Environmental Epidemiology), Harvard University School of Public Health, May 1998.
- M.S. in Environmental Health (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering),
Tufts University, May 1992
- B.A. in Anthropology (also awarded a Certificate of Advanced Study in the Biology
of Human Populations), University of Massachusetts, May 1989
- Environmental epidemiology
- Community health research
- Epidemiologic methods
- Occupational epidemiology
- CEE 154 Principles of Epidemiology
- CEE 155 Epidemiologic Methods
- CEE 6 Principles of Biostatisics
- MPH 201 Principles of Epidemiology
- MPH 205 Principles of Biostatistics
- MPH 226 Cancer Epidemiology
- American College of Epidemiology
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- American Public Health Association
- International Society for Environmental Epidemiology
Selected Scholarly Works
- Yu L., Lane, K., Corlin, L., Patton, A., Durant, J.L., Thanikachalam,
M., Woodin, M., Wang, M., and Brugge, D. (2017). Association of Long-Term
Near-Highway Exposure to Ultrafine Particles with Cardiovascular Diseases,
Diabetes and Hypertension. International Journal of Environmental Research
and Public Health, 14(5), 461; doi: 10.3390/ijerph14050461.
- Corlin, L., Rock, T., Cordova, J., Woodin, M., Durant, G., Gute,
D., Ingram, J., and Brugge, D. (2016). Health Effects and Environmental
Justice Concerns of Exposure to Uranium in Drinking Water.
Current Environmental Health Reports, 3(434). doi: 10.1007/s40572-016-0114-z.
- Pennell KD, Woodin MA, Pennell PB. Quantification of neurosteroids during
pregnancy using selective ion monitoring mass spectrometry. Steroids, 2015; 95:24–31.
- Corlin, L., Woodin, M., Thanikachalam, M., Lowe, L., and Brugge, D. (2014).
Evidence for the Healthy Immigrant Effect in Older Chinese Immigrants:
A Cross-sectional Study. BMC Public Health, 14(1), 603. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-14-603.
- Corlin, L., Woodin, M., Newhide, D., Brown, E., Diaz, S. V., Chi, A., and Brugge, D. (2013).
Asthma Associations in Children Attending a Museum of Science.
International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 10(9),
- Panikkar B, Woodin MA, Brugge D, Desmarais AM, Hyatt R, Gute DM.
Occupational health outcomes among self-identified immigrant workers living
and working in Somerville, Massachusetts 2006–2009. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health.
2013; 15(5): 882-889.
- Panikkar B, Woodin MA, Brugge D, Hyatt R, Gute DM. Characterizing the low wage
immigrant workforce: A comparative analysis of the health disparities among selected
occupations in Somerville, Massachusetts. American Journal of Industrial Medicine.
- Brugge D, Lane KJ, Stewart A, Tai AK, Woodin M. Highway Proximity Associations
with Blood Markers of Inflammation: Evidence for a Role for IL-1β. Journal of Toxicology
and Environmental Health, Part A: Current Issues. 2013; 76(3): 201-205.