Medford, MA 02155
Mark A. Woodin
Senior Lecturer, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Research Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Greetings! I hold faculty appointments at three separate Tufts University
schools. My primary appointment is Senior Lecturer in the Department of Civil
and Environmental Engineering, where I've taught since 1992. In 1996 I was
appointed Lecturer in the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health
(now Family Medicine and Public Health) at Tufts Medical School and in 1999 I
was appointed Lecturer at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy.
In 2002, I helped start the Graduate Certificate Program in Epidemiology. I
currently am the Director of this program. In 2005, I was appointed the
Concentration Leader of the Epidemiology and Biostatistics track in the Master
of Public Health (MPH) Program, which is offered by the Public Health and
Professional Degrees Program on the Medical School campus. I also currently
serve on the MPH Academic Affairs Committee.
- Sc.D. in Epidemiology (concentration areas: Occupational Epidemiology,
Biostatistics, and Environmental Epidemiology), Harvard University School of
Public Health, May 1998.
- M.S. in Environmental Health (Department of Civil and Environmental
Engineering), Tufts University, May 1992.
- B.A. in Anthropology (also awarded a Certificate of Advanced Study in
the Biology of Human Populations), University of Massachusetts, May 1989.
- Occupational epidemiology
- Epidemiologic methods
- Community health research
- CEE 54 Fundamentals of Epidemiology
- CEE 154 Principles of Epidemiology
- CEE 158 Occupational and Environmental Health
- CEE 161 Internship in Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- CEE 164 Epidemiologic Methods
- CEE 292 Research Methods for Environmental Health Scientists
- MPH 201 Principles of Epidemiology
- MPH 205 Principles of Biostatistics
- MPH 226 Cancer Epidemiology
- American College of Epidemiology
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- American Public Health Association
- International Society for Environmental Epidemiology
Selected Scholarly Works
- Lee AC, Brugge D, Phan L, and Woodin MA. "A Comparison of Knowledge
about Asthma between Asians and non-Asians at Two Pediatric Clinics,"
Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 9(4): 245-254; 2007.
- Brugge D, Lee AC, Woodin MA, Rioux C. "Native and Foreign Born as
Predictors of Pediatric Asthma in an Asian Immigrant Population,"
Environmental Health, 6(13); 2007.
- Ellerbusch F, Gute DM, Woodin MA, and Desmarais AM. "Community
Engagement as a Component of Revitalization: Lessons Learned from the
Technical Outreach Service to Communities (TOSC) Program," Local
Environment, 11(5): 515-535; 2006.
- Liu Y, Woodin MA, et. al. "Estimation of Personal Exposures to
Particulate Matter and Metals in Boiler Overhaul Work," Journal of
Occupational & Environmental Medicine, 47(1):68-78; 2005.
- Christiani D.C. and M. A. Woodin (2003), Life Support: The
Environment and Human Health., Chapter 2: Urban and Transboundary Air
Pollution. MIT Press.
- Kim JY, Hauser R, Wand MP, Herrick RF, Houk RS, Aeschliman D, Woodin MA,
and D.C Christiani (2003). "Association of Expired Nitric Oxide With Urinary
Metal Concentrations in Boilermakers Exposed to Residual Oil Fly Ash,"
American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 44: 458-66.
- Gute DM., Woodin MA., and AM Desmarais (2002). "TOSC-TAB Lessons
Learned". Invited presentation at the Winter 2002 EPA/TOSC-TAB National
Conference in Portland, Oregon, 29 January.
- Woodin MA, Liu Y, et. al. (2000). "Acute respiratory symptoms in workers
exposed to vanadium-rich fuel-oil ash," American Journal of Industrial
Medicine, 37: 353-363.