Frequently Asked Questions
Can I speak to someone about the Tufts Mechanical
Engineering or Human Factors Programs, research opportunities, or other topics
in greater depth?
Yes, but it is much more productive if you make an appointment in advance
to ensure a faculty or staff member will be available to answer your questions.
E-mail MEinfo@tufts.edu to set up
We can help you best if you have the following information for us:
- Topics of interest or area of study
- What degree program you wish to pursue
- • Date and times that you are available to visit (visiting hours are Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)
How do I apply for admission?
What are the application deadlines?
- Undergraduates (Early Decision I): November 1
- Undergraduates (Regular Decision): January 1
- Undergraduates (Transfer Admission): March 1
- Graduates: Fall - January 15; Spring - September 15
Are GRE scores required?
The Department requires all applicants to submit their recent General
Record Examination (GRE) scores. Tufts University reporting code number is 3901.
What are the average GRE scores of accepted students?
- GRE Verbal: 158
- GRE Quantitative: 163
- GRE Writing: 4.0
What is the minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for
admission in the Mechanical Engineering Department?
- A minimum score of 90 on the internet-based
- A minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS exam is required.
- Enter Tufts University code number 3901 to ensure score is reported correctly.
- Please see the Graduate School website for additional international applicant requirements.
How much is tuition?
Is Graduate support available?
- The Department awards Research Assistantships to full time PhD
and MS/PhD students on a competitive basis. Research Assistants (RAs)
are chosen by individual faculty members to work on specific research
grants for a stipend and a tuition scholarship.
- We also award Teaching Assistantships to full time PhD
and MS/PhD students. Typically a Teaching Assistant (TA)
is responsible for two courses per semester and will receive a stipend in
addition to a full tuition scholarship. TAs are appointed during the
admissions process; there is no separate application.
- In addition to teaching and research assistantships, the Department
may also award partial tuition scholarships to outstanding students.
Tuition scholarships cannot be applied to charges associated with
undergraduate-level courses. These courses may be required for students
who require additional background in mechanical engineering.
I am an undergraduate; can I
transfer a class from another university to count towards my degree?
Yes, credits can be transferred but permission must be obtained from the
Department BEFORE you take the class.
What courses do you offer?
to find all Tufts University course offerings and descriptions.
How do I reserve a classroom or
space on campus?
- To reserve a classroom or space for an
ME related event, please contact the Mechanical Engineering office at 617.627.3239.
- University recognized student
organizations can reserve space on campus through the University's online
Space & Resource Reservation System.
- To reserve the "Fishbowl," Anderson Hall
room 216, please contact the Engineering Dean's Office at
617.627.3237 or visit the Dean's Office on the first floor of Anderson Hall,
room 105 and speak
to someone at the front desk.
I'm an alumnus; how do I request a
Transcript requests are processed through the
What are the Mechanical
Engineering office's hours of operation?
The ME office is open Monday – Friday from 9:00AM – 5:00PM