Tufts University  |  School of Engineering  |  Find People  |  Give  | 

Graduate Program

Admissions and Aid

Applications for admission and financial aid for both domestic and international candidates should be submitted no later than January 15 (Ph.D. only) and May 15 (M.S. only) for fall enrollment, and September 15 for spring enrollment. Applicants should have completed the requirements of a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar field before enrollment into the program.

Foreign students must submit their Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores. A minimum score of 577 points on the written exam, 233 on the computerized exam, or 90 on the internet-based exam is required. Tufts University's reporting code is 3901. General Graduate Record Examinations (GREs) are also required. The Application form for admission and additional information can be obtained from the Office of Graduate Admissions website or by contacting the Office of Graduate Admissions at:

Office of Graduate Admissions
Tufts University
Bendetson Hall
Medford, MA 02155
Email: gradadmissions@tufts.edu
Phone: 617-627-3395
Fax: 617-627-4079

Applicants are admitted to the graduate programs on the basis of their educational qualifications. A key requirement is strong academic background in mechanical engineering or a related technical discipline.

Information on tuition and fees for each program is provided in the Graduate School Handbook.

Teaching Assistantships
The department awards teaching assistantships to full-time Ph.D. students on a competitive basis. Typically a teaching assistant (TA) is responsible for two courses per semester and receives a stipend in addition to a full-tuition scholarship. TAs are appointed every semester; there is no separate application.

Teaching assistantships are a half-time position (20 hours per week). Given that courses and research take the other half of a student's time, it is generally not appropriate for a student to have an outside job. The absolute maximum that a student may work an outside job is one day per week. Failure to comply with this policy can lead to termination of all financial aid.

TAs are assigned to a course at the beginning of the semester. TAs will be required to submit a written agreement between themselves and the faculty who teach the courses they TA the first week of the semester. A template for this agreement is available in the ME office. TAs will be required to have office hours for a minimum of 3 hours per week, and these hours will be posted on a departmental calendar. Failure to be available for these hours may also lead to termination of the TA agreement.

At the end of the semester, faculty will submit a written evaluation of the TA performance. Subsequent TA appointments will be contingent positive evaluations.

Research Assistantships
Research Assistants (RAs) are sponsored by individual faculty members to work on specific research grants for a stipend and a tuition scholarship. RAs are appointed as funding becomes available. But it is the responsibility of the student to find an advisor who will offer them funding. RAs receive a stipend in addition to a full-tuition scholarship.

Research assistantships are a minimum half-time position (20 hours per week) but may be higher depending on the expectations of the advisor. Given the focus on research duties, it is generally not appropriate for a student to have an outside job. The absolute maximum that a student may work an outside job is one day per week. Failure to comply with this policy can lead to termination of all financial aid.

RAs are expected to be on campus for a large fraction of their time. Excessive absences or lack of progress on research are grounds for termination of the RA support.

Scholarships and other support
The Mechanical Engineering Department offers full and partial tuition scholarships, grader positions, and hourly work on a selective basis. There are various other employment opportunities available at the University and in the surrounding community. For more information, visit the Student Employment Office in Dowling Hall.

Transfer of Credit
A maximum of two graduate-level courses taken as a non-degree student at Tufts University, or at another institution, may be transferred and used to fulfill requirements for a master's degree subject to the following conditions. Credits transferred must:

  • carry the grade of B- or better (courses taken as pass/fail cannot be transferred)
  • not have been counted toward another degree
  • be courses from a properly accredited institution
  • have been taken within the past five years

In the case of Tufts certificate students and undergraduate students, additional courses may be transferable. In all cases, courses to be transferred must be approved by the Department before requesting the approval of the School of Engineering. For further information on transfer of credit, refer to the Graduate Student Handbook.

Other Policies

  • Office Policy
    To the extent possible, all incoming graduate students will be assigned and office and a desk. Students are expected to occupy and use these facilities while on campus. If a student chooses not to use the desk provided to them, their office will be assigned to another student. Please return all keys to the appropriate ME representatives at your earliest convenience when vacating an office.