Professor of the Practice, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Ph.D. (Engineering Sciences), University of California, San Diego, 1973
M.S. (Mechanical Engineering), Lehigh University, 1967
B.Tech. (Mechanical Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, 1965
Dr. Misra's research has focused on GPS and the global
navigation satellite systems now under development
(GLONASS, Galileo, BeiDou, and others), and their
applications, particularly in civil aviation. His
current research interests, beside GPS-guided precision
approach and landing, include personal and automobile
navigation systems that combine multiple sensors (compass,
camera, pedometer, accelerometer, gyro, etc.), data bases
(digital street maps and Wi-Fi access point locations),
and assistance from communication networks for robust
positioning when GPS is not available.
2014-present Professor of the Practice,
2010-2014 Research Associate Professor, Tufts University
2007-2011 Senior Principal Engineer, The MITRE Corporation
1983-2007 Lincoln Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
1974-1983 IBM Federal Systems Division
Professional Activities and Honors
- Kepler Award for "sustained and significant contributions to
the development of satellite navigation," The Institute of
Navigation, Satellite Division, 2014
- Chair, Satellite Division, The Institute of Navigation, 2008-2010
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2007
- Fellow of The Institute of Navigation (ION), 2004
- Guest Editor, Proceedings of the IEEE, Special issue on GPS, January 1999
- Outstanding Achievement Award, IBM Federal Systems Division, 1980
Selected Publications and Patents
- P. Misra and P. Enge, GPS: Signals, Measurements,
and Performance, Revised 2nd
Edition, Ganga-Jamuna Press, 2011
- S. Bednarz and P. Misra, "Receiver Clock-based Integrity
Monitoring for GPS Precision Approaches," IEEE Trans. on
Aerospace and Electronic Systems,vol. 41, no. 2, pp.
636-643, April 2006.
- M. Pratt, B. Burke, and P. Misra, "Satellite Navigation
Receiver for precise Relative Positioning in Real Time," U.S. Patent
No. 6,181,274 B1, January 30, 2001.
- P. Misra, "Clock-aided Satellite Navigation
Receiver System for Enhanced Position Estimation and Integrity Monitoring," U.S.
Patent No. 5,623,414, April 22, 1997.
- P. Misra, "Role of the Clock in a GPS Receiver,"
Innovation column, GPS WORLD, pp. 60-66,
- P. Misra, "Integrated Use of GPS and GLONASS in
Civil Aviation," Lincoln Laboratory Journal,
vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 231-248, 1993.
- P. Misra, "Software Reliability Analysis,"
IBM Systems Journal,
vol. 22, pp. 262-270, 1983.
- P. Misra and S. Wheeler,
"Crop Classification with Multispectral Scanner Data,"
Pattern Recognition, vol. 10, pp. 1-13, 1978.
- P. Misra and H. Sorenson, "Parameter Estimation in
Poisson Processes," IEEE
Trans. on Information Theory, vol. IT-21, pp. 87-90, 1975.