Kristen Bethke Wendell
Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Wendell, K. B., Wright, C. G., & Paugh, P. (Forthcoming).
Engineering design as reflective decision-making: How elementary school
students make collaborative planning and redesign choices during formal
engineering learning experiences. Journal of Engineering Education.
- Dalvi, T., & Wendell, K. B. (2016, online first). Using student video
cases to assess pre-service elementary teachers' engineering
teaching responsiveness. Research in Science Education.
- Wendell, K. B., Swenson, J., & Dalvi, T. (2016). Learning
engineering and teaching engineering: Comparing the engineering
epistemologies of two novice teachers with distinct pedagogies
of design. Proceedings of the 123rd American
Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and
Exposition. New Orleans, LA.
- Johnson, A. W., Wendell, K.B., & Watkins, J. (2016). Dimensions
of experienced responsive teaching in engineering. Proceedings
of the 123rd American Society for Engineering
Education Annual Conference and Exposition. New Orleans, LA.
- Stone-MacDonald, A., Wendell, K., Douglass, A., & Love, M. L. (2015).
Engaging young engineers: Teaching problem solving skills through STEM.
Baltimore, MD: Brookes Publishing.
- Swenson, J., Wendell, K. B., & Dalvi, T. (2015). Introducing
engineering and making to urban pre-service teachers through community-based
projects. Proceedings of FabLearn 2015, Palo Alto, CA.
- Wendell, K. B., Wright, C. W., & Paugh, P. (2015). Urban elementary
school students' reflective decision-making during formal engineering learning
experiences. Proceedings of the 122nd American Society for Engineering
Education Annual Conference and Exposition. Seattle, WA.
- Dalvi, T., & Wendell, K. B. (2015). Community based engineering.
Science & Children.
- Wendell, K. B. (2014). Design practices of pre-service elementary
teachers in an integrated engineering and literature experience. Journal of
Pre-College Engineering Education Research, 4(2), Article 4.
- Wendell, K. B. (2014). The video case diagnosis task: Assessing
pre-service teachers' knowledge of engineering design practices. Proceedings
of the 121st American Society for Engineering Education Annual
Conference and Exposition. Indianapolis, IN.
- McCormick, M., Wendell, K., & O'Connell, B. (2014). Student videos as a
tool for elementary teacher development in teaching engineering: What do
teachers notice? Proceedings of the 121st American
Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition.
- Wendell, K. B., & Kolodner, J. (2014). Learning disciplinary concepts
and practices through engineering design. In B. Olds and A.
Johri (Eds.), Cambridge handbook of engineering education research.
Cambridge University Press.
- Wendell, K., Kendall, A., Portsmore, M., Wright, C., Jarvin, L., &
Rogers, C. (2014). Embedding elementary school science instruction in
engineering design problem solving. In S. Purzer, J. Strobel, & M. Cardella
(Eds.), Engineering in pre-college settings: Synthesizing research,
policy, and practices. Purdue University Press.
- Wendell, K. B., & Rogers, C. (2013). Engineering-design-based science,
science content performance, and science attitudes in elementary school.
Journal of Engineering Education, 102(4), 513-540.
- Wendell, K. B. (2013). Children's design
constructions as representations of science ideas. In B. Brizuela and B. Gravel (Eds.),
"Show me what you know" Exploring
representations across STEM disciplines. Teachers College Press.
- Wendell, K.B. (2012). Just right: Students design a model house to
learn about the properties of materials. Science & Children, 50(4), 46-53.
- Wendell, K.B., & Lee, H.-S. (2010). Elementary students' learning
of materials science practices through instruction based on engineering design
tasks. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 19(6), 580-601.
- Rogers, C., Foster, J., & Wendell, K. B. (2010). A review of the NAE
report on engineering in K-12 education. Journal of Engineering
Education, 99(2), 179-181.
- Newman, D. J., Bethke, K., Hoffman, J., Carr, C., & Trotti, G. (2004).
Astronaut bio-suit system to enable planetary exploration.
International Astronautical Federation - 55th International Astronautical
Congress 2004, 12, 7708-7718.
- Bethke, K., Carr, C. E., Pitts, B. M., & Newman, D.
J. (2004). Bio-suit development: Viable options for mechanical counterpressure?
34th International Conference on Environmental Systems, Colorado Springs,
Colorado, July, 2004. SAE 2004 Transactions Journal of Aerospace,
113(1), 426-437. SAE paper
- Troutman, P. A., Bethke, K., Stillwagen, F., Caldwell, D. L., Manvi,
R., Strickland, C., & Krizan, S. A. (2003). Revolutionary concepts for human
outer planet exploration. Space Technology and Applications International Forum.
AIP Conference Proceedings, 654, 821-828.