Michael A. Zimmerman
Professor of the Practice, Department of Mechanical Engineering
PhD, ME and Applied Mechanics, University of
Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1988 (Joint research at
Cavendish Labs/Cambridge University, Cambridge, England)
SM,ME Fibers and Polymers Division, Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 1981
BS,ME Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
Prof Zimmerman spent 14 years at Bell Labs, and rose to the
highest technical level (top 1% of technical community). His area
of expertise is polymer innovation and polymer processing,
semiconductor packaging and electronic and optical materials.
He subsequently started his own company (QLP, Inc.) by inventing
a new liquid crystal polymer technology and developed products in
the area of semiconductor packages, new printed circuit board materials,
and revolutionary materials for replacing metals in automobiles.
He developed strong collaborative relationships with Sumitomo Chemical,
Dupont, Freescale Semiconductor, and General Motors, raised > $50M
from Venture Capital firms and strategic partners, qualified the technology
in several major applications, and sold the company to a multinational company
(Interplex Industries). He has been teaching at Tufts for over 20 years, in
the areas of materials science, manufacturing and finite element analysis
and has developed new classes in the areas of polymer science and composite
materials. He has developed projects for over 15 graduate students (MS and PhD),
and has hired many of them. Currently he is involved in new funded
research related to energy storage materials. He has collaborations with both
the Electrical Engineering and Civil Engineering Departments.
Prof. Zimmerman's areas of expertise are in materials,
processing, design for manufacture, computer simulations,
new product ideas, and electronic packaging. He is an
entrepreneur and visionary with extensive international work
experience in Europe and Asia, understands the
entrepreneurial and start-up world.
- 2012-present Founder and Head, iQLP incubation laboratory
and new stealth energy storage venture
- 2002 Founder, CTO and Board Member Quantum Leap
Packaging, Wilmington, MA, sold to Interplex Industries.
- 1990-present Professor of Practice/Advisory Board/Lecturer Tufts University
- 1988-2002Consulting, Distinguished and Member of
Technical Staff Lucent Technologies/Bell Laboratories, North Andover, MA
- 1985-1988Senior Research Engineer, Scott Paper Company, Philadelphia, PA
- 1982-1985 Senior Mechanical Engineer, Northrop Corporation, Norwood, MA
- 1981-1982 Engineer, Stone and Webster Engineering Corp., Boston, MA
- 1981-1982 (part-time)Consultant, Fibers and Polymers Laboratory,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2011 Named Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- 2008Best Paper Award, IMAPS Advanced Technology Workshop
- 2000 Named Consulting Member of Technical Staff (Top
1% of Technical Community), Bell Labs/Lucent Technologies 2000
Bell Labs President's award (Innovative, low cost
optical network design and materials solution), Bell
- 1999 Gold Award (Introducing low cost packaging \
techniques into ATM PON), Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies
- 1997Environmental Hero Award (Design for assembly
and disassembly), Bell Labs/Lucent Technologies
- 1995Engineering Excellence Award (Peer recognition),
AT&T, Bell Laboratories
- 1981 Textile Veterans Honor Award, Massachusetts
Institute of Technology
- 1980 DuPont Fellowship, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 1977 Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- 2013 "Solid Electrolyte for High Energy Battery" Patent Application
- 2012 "Package for Integrated Circuit Die", Chinese patent ZL 2008 10188630.0
- 2012 "Microcircuit Package having Ductile Layer", US RE43,807E
- 2011 "Plastic Electronic Component Package", US Patent 8,039,945
- 2010 "Ultra high-temperature plastic package and method of manufacture", US Patent 7,803,307
- 2010 "Thermoplastic Material", US Patent 7,736,573
- 2010 "Microcircuit with Ductile Layer" US Patent 7,679,185
- 2006 "Flange for Integrated Circuit Die," US Patent 7,053,299
- 2005 "Package for Integrated Circuit Die" US Patent 6, 9867,367
- 2003 "Dual Network Housing Device", US Patent, 6,510,226
- 2002 "Patch Antenna Using Non-Conductive Frame", US Patent 6,421,011
- 2002 "Mounting Opto-Electric Modules on Circuit Boards", US Patent, 6,361,330
- 1993 "Method of Molding a Thermoplastic Ring onto a Lead frame", US Patent 5,213,748
- 1992 "Molded Circuit Package Having a Heat Dissipating Post", US Patent 5,172,213 1984 "Fabric Forming
Process' U.S. Patent 4,425,691
- "The Effect of Si Die Geometry on the Failure of LDMOS
Packages," R. Fragoudakis(g), M.A. Zimmerman, A. Saigal and
P. Zhou, 3rd International Conference of Engineering Against
Failure (ICEAF III), Kos island, Greece, June 26-28, 2013.
- "A Review of TEM Polymer Specimen Preparation," R. Fragoudakis(g),
M. A. Zimmerman and A. Saigal, 24th Canadian Congress of Applied Mechanics
(CANCAM), Saskatoon, SK, Canada, June 2-6, 2013.
- "Non-Contact Dielectric Characterization of Lithium Ionic
Solid Electrolyte Polymer," L. Chao(g), M.N. Afsar, M.A. Zimmerman
and A. Saigal, IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement
Technology Conference (I2MTC), Minneapolis, MN, May 6-9, 2013.
- "Modeling Directionality of Liquid Crystalline Polymers
on Arbitrary Meshes," A. Ahmadzadegan(g), M.A. Zimmerman and A. Saigal,
Modeling and Numerical Simulation of Material Science
(MNSMS), 3(1), January 2013, pp. 1-6.
- "Investigating the Rheology of LCPs,
through different die geometries" , A. Ahmadzadegan, M.A Zimmerman, and A.
Saigal , Characterization of Carbon and Soft Materials Session, Proceedings of
TMS (Minerals, Mining and Materials Society), March 15, 2012.
of a new modeling technique for die geometry for extrusion of LCP films", A.
Ahmadzadegan, M.A Zimmerman, and A. Saigal ,Proceedings, Annual technical
Meeting, Society of Plastics Engineers, Boston, MA, May 5, 2011.
- "Reliability of
Wedge Wirebonds Subjected to Ultrasonic Welding and Thermal Cycling", J.
Battaglia, MA Zimmerman, A Saigal, Proceedings of 2011 TMS Annual Meeting, San
Diego, CA February 27-March 3, 2011.
- "Stress Analysis
of Eutectically Soldered Silicon
chips on Copper Flanges with Ductile Layer Technology,", P. Zhou, M.A.
Zimmerman, and A. Saigal, Proceedings of 2011 TMS Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA
February 27-March 3, 2011.
Measurements of Molded Liquid Crystal Polymer/Titania Composites," B. Dantal, A.
Saigal, M.A. Zimmerman, K. Korolev, M. Afsar and U. Khan, Proceedings of
International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition 2010, Vancouver,
British Columbia, Canada, November 12-18, 2010, IMECE2010-37558.
- "Multi-lead Organic Air-Cavity Package for High Power High Frequency RFIC' with
D, Dougherty, V. Viswanathan, and
Mali Mahalingam , Freescale Semiconductor, June 2009. IEEE MTT-S International
Microwave Symposium, Proceedings.
- "New Structural Polymer for Metal Replacement
Applications" with Dan Ward, Chris Lee, and Eric
Paszkowski, Rick Boisjoly, Jim Elliott and Michael
McGee, Nypro, June 2009. SPE, ANTEC.
- "Multi-lead Organic Air-Cavity Package for High
Power High Frequency RFIC' with D, Dougherty, V.
Viswanathan, and Mali Mahalingam , Free scale
Semiconductor, accepted for Publication, June 2009. IEEE
MTT-S International Microwave Symposium.
- "Revolutionary Polymer for Metal Replacement and
Automotive Applications", with C. Buehler and W Rogers,
General Motors, 2008 SPE Automotive Composites
Conference and Exhibition, Detroit Michigan, September
- "Plastic Air Cavity Package", with C.Lee, SMTA AIMS
(Automotive, Industrial, Military and Space) Harsh
Environment. Orlando, FL, August 2008.
- "Novel Polymer for Metal Replacement in Automotive
Applications", SPE Automotive Engineering Plastics
Conference, April 2008.
- "Millimeter Wave Spectroscopy and Materials
Characterization of Refractive Liquid Crystal Polymer/Titania
Composites," B. Dantal, A. Saigal, M.A. Zimmerman, K.
Korolev, M. Afsar and U. Khan, Materials
Characterization 2007, Third International Conference on
Computational Methods and Experiments in Material
Characterization, Bologna, Italy, June 13-15, 2007