Paul Kirshen has 30 years of experience serving as principal investigator and project manager of complex, interdisciplinary, participatory research projects related to water resources, coastal zone management, and climate variability and change. He is director and co-founder of the Water: Systems, Science, and Society (WSSS) Interdisciplinary Graduate Education Program at Tufts. Ongoing relevant projects include developing guidance tools for planning and management of urban drainage systems under a changing climate for U.S. NOAA with Somerville, Massachusetts, as one of the case studies, and also investigating the impacts of increased coastal flooding in east Boston, Massachusetts, for U.S. NOAA. Kirshen is also part of teams conducting a national vulnerability assessment of U.S. Army Corps of Engineers projects and programs, and developing a drainage and sewer masterplan for Boston Water and Sewer Commission. He has conducted water and climate management research in West Africa since 1974.
Visiting Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tufts School of Engineering
Research Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, and Institute for the Study of Earth, Oceans, and Space, University of New Hampshire
Adjunct Professor, Environmental Earth and Ocean Sciences Department, University of Massachusetts-Boston
Research Leader, Battelle Memorial Institute
- Director and Co-founder, Water: Systems, Science, and Society (WSSS) Interdisciplinary Graduate Education Program
- Co-Director, Tufts Institute of the Environment
- Research Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Affiliated Faculty, Department of Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning
- Adjunct Professor, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy
UCOWR Visiting Scholar Program Fellow, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Institute for Water Resources
- Research Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Research Associate Professor, International Environment and Resource Policy Program, The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
- Co-Founder and Director, Tufts Water, Sustainability, Health, and Ecological Diversity (WaterSHED) Center
Water Program Manager, Stockholm Environment Institute-Boston
Principal Engineer, Environmental Research and Technology. Inc.
Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Assistant Research Professor, Thayer School of Engineering and Resource Policy Center, Dartmouth College
Senior Engineer, Environmental Research and Technology. Inc.
Research Associate, MIT