Diversity is a fact. Equity is a choice. Inclusion is an action. Belonging is an outcome.
"The diversity of a university's faculty, staff, and students influences its strength, productivity, and intellectual profile. Diversity of experience, age, physical ability, religion, race, ethnicity, gender, and many other attributes contribute to the richness of the environment for teaching and research. A vast and growing body of research provides evidence that a diverse student body, faculty, and staff benefit our joint missions of teaching and research by increasing creativity, innovation, and problem-solving." – Tufts Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Institutional Planning Guide
School of Engineering
Kyongbum Lee is the Dean of Tufts University School of Engineering and Karol Family Professor in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering. Under his leadership, the School of Engineering works together to promote and advance the best practices of academic administration, education, and research.
As the Dean of Undergraduate Education, Chris Swan is directly responsible for developing, implementing and assessing academic advising and the administration of the degrees awarded in 13 engineering disciplines. He serves as the School of Engineering's point person on educational policy.
As Dean of Graduate Education, Karen Panetta leads efforts to develop and strengthen engineering graduate programs. She works closely with faculty, students, administrators, and staff to recruit highly talented graduate students, to support current students in their academic studies and research, and to continue to develop graduate programs that prepare students for success in their fields.
Division of Student Inclusion and Success
As the Associate Dean of the Division of Student Diversity and Inclusion (DSDI), Ellise LaMotte represents the needs of A&S, SMFA, and SOE students on the university-wide Cabinet on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, and she supports the university's Center for STEM Diversity along with the seven Identity Centers: Africana, Asian American, FIRST, Indigenous, LGBT, Latinx, and Women's as they support their student populations.
Diversity Program Administrator
As a Diversity Program Administrator for the Center for STEM Diversity, Mafalda works directly to support the Department of Biomedical Engineering and the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
School of Engineering Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
Members of the School of Engineering Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee consist of five faculty, four staff, three students, one faculty from Tufts' School of Art and Science, one Chief Diversity Officer, and one member of the Alumni Board of Advisors group. Members get elected by their constituencies for a term of three years. For more information, please contact EngineeringDEIJ@tufts.edu.
- Chris Swan, Dean of Undergraduate Education of School of Engineering, and Associate Professor Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, and Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life
- Eric L Miller, Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Erica Kemmerling, Assistant Teaching Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Madeleine Oudin, Tiampo Family Assistant Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Merredith Portsmore, Research Associate Professor and Director of the Tufts Center for Engineering Education and Outreach
- Ellise LaMotte, Associate Dean of the Division of Student Diversity and Inclusion
- Grace Caldara, Director of the Center for STEM Diversity
- Mafalda Gueta, Diversity Program Administrator, School of Engineering
- Tara Zantow, Senior Academic Advisor, School of Engineering
- One Open Position
- Avis Carrero, PhD candidate, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Two Open Positions
Arts and Sciences Faculty:
- Hugh Gallagher, Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy
Chief Diversity Office:
- Open Position
Alumni Board of Advisors:
- Terence Hosten, A91