Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Tufts School of Engineering
- 2011-present: Professor of the Practice
- 2011: Lecturer
Technology Transfer Consultant, Fuentek, LLC
Founder and President, Cambridge Microtech Inc.
Group Leader, ManLabs Division, Alcan Aluminum Corporation
Petroleum Engineer, Amoco Petroleum Company
Derek Mess' research interests include materials development for energy, environmental, and aerospace applications; synthesis and processing of high temperature materials, including thermal barrier coating (TBC) and solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) ceramics; and fundamental gas-solid reactions associated with carbon dioxide capture in coal gasification processes.
- 2012, 2013: Best Professor Award, Tufts Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
- 2001: NASA Tech Brief Award
- 1996: Berman Award, Chemistry Division, Naval Research Laboratory
- 1994: ASM International, Thermal Spray Society Best Paper Award
- 1981-1982: Edwin R. Gilliland Fellowship
- 1980: B.E.C. Joyce Memorial Award for outstanding chemical engineering graduate, Queen's University
- 1980: H.G. Conn Award for valuable and distinguished service, Queen's University