Minor in Engineering Education
The Minor in Engineering Education provides students with field experience through the Center for Engineering Education and Outreach (CEEO) Student Teacher Mentorship Program (STOMP), and an educational foundation that will help them in their classroom visits, and influence their work.
Engineering students are encouraged to obtain an Engineering Education minor if they have:
- A passion for K-12 education, but don't necessarily want to pursue a career in the field;
- A potential desire to go into the education field post-graduation, but want to explore the possibility first;
- An interest in becoming an educator post-graduation; the minor experience will adequately prepare then in pursuing an MAT
- A need to be active in citizenship and public service pre- and post-graduation.
Students are eligible for the minor if they take 5 courses, and participate in one field experience activity in the form of STOMP or an equivalent Education field course. The 5 required courses are divided among the 3 categories of Build, Apply, and Integrate, as identified in list below.
If you are a Tufts Engineering student interested in the minor, please contact Merredith Portsmore, CEEO Director, with questions.
Students can declare a minor through the Student Services website.
SENIORS: Download and complete the Engineering Education Minor Checklist.
Human Development & Learning Foundation (2 Courses)
- ED-0001 - School & Society (SS) *Required (3 SHUs)
- Select one of the following:
- CSHD-0051 - Intellectual Development (SS) (3 SHUs)
- CSHD-0173 - Curricula for Young Children: Math, Science & Technology (SS) (3 SHUs)
- CSHD-0145 - Technological Tools for Learning (SS) (3 SHUs)
- CSHD-0151 - Advanced Intellectual Development (3 SHUs)
- ED-0130 - Human Development & Learning (SS) (3 SHUs)
Social & Cultural Foundation (1 Course)
Select one of the following:
- ED 0161 - Anthropology and Sociology of Schooling (3 SHUs)
- ED-0162 - Critical Histories of U.S. Education (SS) (3 SHUs)
- ED-0164 - Education for Peace & Justice (SS) (3 SHUs)
- ED-0165 - Feminist & Gender Theories in Education (SS) (3 SHUs)
- ED 0166 - Masculinities & U.S. Schooling (SS) (3 SHUs)
- ED 0167 - Critical Race Theory (SS) (4 SHUs)
Education through Engineering (2 Courses)
Select two of the following:
- COMP-0171 - Human-Computer Interaction (E) (3 SHUs)
- ENP-0161 - Human Factors in Product Design (E) (3 SHUs)
- ENP-0162 - Human-Machine Systems Design (E) (3 SHUs)
- ME-0145 - Engineering Education Design (E) (3 SHUs) (previously numbered ME-0171)
- ME-0134 - Robotics (E) (3 SHUs) (previously numbered ME-0184)
- ME-0140 - Inventive Design (E) (3 SHUs) (previously numbered ME-0102)
STOMP or Field Studies
Select one of the following:
- ED 0011 - Observing Theory In Action (SS) (3 SHUs)
- ED 0099 - Field Experience In Education (1-6 SHUs)
- STOMP - Participation in 2 semesters
(SS) = SoE-HASS-Social Sciences
(H) = SoE-HASS-Humanities
(E) = SoE-Engineering