Abani Patra researches computational issues in large scale and data driven modeling. He is trained in computational mathematics. He was the founding director of the Institute for Computational and Data Sciences at University at Buffalo and has directed programs at the National Science Foundation and the U.S. Department of Energy.
- 2018: Exceptional Scholar Award for Sustained Achievement, University at Buffalo
- 2015: Named Fellow, U.S. Association for Computational Mechanics
- 1997: CAREER Award, National Science Foundation
- Chair, Computational Science Advisory Board, Brookhaven National Laboratories
- Section Editor, Journal of Computational Science
- Editorial Board, Computers and Mathematics with Applications
- Editorial Board, International Journal for Uncertainty Quantification