Ph.D., Civil Engineering, MIT, 1973
M.S., Civil Engineering, MIT, 1967
B.S., Civil Engineering, 1966
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tufts University
- 2014-present: Professor Emeritus
- 2004-2012: Associate Dean, Tufts School of Engineering
- 1992-1998: Department Chair
- 1989-2014: Professor
- 1984-1985: Acting Department Chair
- 1975-1989: Associate Professor
- 1973-1975: Assistant Professor
- 1967-1970: Instructor
Research Fellow, Haley and Aldrich Inc.
2008, 2003, 1980-1981:
Research Fellow, Norwegian Geotechnical Institute
Selected Honors and Awards:
2004: Henry and Madeline Fischer Award, Tufts School of Engineering
Elected Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers
Society of the Sigma Xi, MIT Chapter
Tau Beta Pi, Mass Delta Chapter, Tufts University
1972: NSF Science Faculty Fellow, MIT
1967: Jonathan Whitney Fellowship, MIT
Order of the Engineer, Tufts University
Selected Professional Activities:
2007-2008: Chair, Professional Practice and Ethics Leadership Award Committee, ASCE and ASFE
2001-2003: Governor, Foundation for Professional Practice, ASCE and ASFE
1999-2000: Secretary, The Engineering Center Education Trust
1996-1997: Chair, Vice Chair, Library Committee, The Engineering Center Education Trust
1991-2014: Tufts University Representative, Association of Soil and Foundation Engineers
1989-1990: President, Boston Society of Civil Engineers Section
Technical Affiliate, International Association of Drilled Shaft Contractors
Tufts University Representative, Transportation Research Board, National Research Council
Registered Professional Engineer, MA Certificate 29016
Selected Funded Research:
- "Friction Pile Capacities in Vermont Silt", State of Vermont Department of Highways and U.S. Department of Transportation 1967-1969.
- "Dynamic Soils Laboratory Test Equipment", National Science Foundation, Instructional Scientific-Equipment Program. 1975-76.
- "Postdoctoral Research Fellowship", Royal Norwegian Council for Scientific and Industrial Research 1980-81.
- Innovative Teaching Award by Experimental College for Development of course on Toxic Waste Management. 1983.
- "Highway Design for Frost Susceptible Soils", Massachusetts Department of Public Works. 1985-87.
- "Submarine Slope Instabilities", Tufts Faculty Research Award. 1985. $600.
- "Direct Simple Shear Apparatus", Loan agreement with U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Waterways Experiment Station. 1985-88.
- "Field Station Feasibility Study", Tufts University Center for Environmental Management, U.S. EPA, 1987-88.
- "A Model for Predicting Long-Term Landfill Settlements", Tufts University Center for Environmental Management, U.S. EPA, 1989-90.
- "Design of Drilled Shafts for Strain Pole and Mast Arm Foundations", Massachusetts Department of Public Works, 1991-1994.
- GZA Fellowship in Geoenvironmental Engineering, 1991-1192.
- "Northeast Regional Academic Center for Institute for Professional Practice, 1992-.
- Project Bridge, Development of K-12 Curriculum Materials, with K. Camara, Tufts Education Department. NSF and Pew Trust, 1994.
- "Remediation of PCB Contaminated Sediments", Technical Support to Housatonic River Initiative, with Tufts CEM, Anne Marie Desmarais, and James Noble, US EPA, 1994.
- "Infrastructure Systems, Services and Climate Change: Integrated Impacts and Response Strategies for the Metropolitan Boston Area", non-PI participant, US EPA.
- "Research Fellowship", Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI), Geohazards Center of Excellence, January-June 2003.
- "Digital Boston Geotechnical Data Base", 2003-2005, Berger Family Tech. Transfer Endowment, Tufts University, Laurie Baise (PI).
American Society of Civil Engineers
International Society of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering
Association of Soil and Foundation Engineers