Ph.D., Civil Engineering, MIT, 1973
M.S., Civil Engineering, MIT, 1967
B.S., Civil Engineering, 1966
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tufts University
- 2014-present: Professor Emeritus
- 2004-2012: Associate Dean, Tufts School of Engineering
- 1992-1998: Department Chair
- 1989-2014: Professor
- 1984-1985: Acting Department Chair
- 1975-1989: Associate Professor
- 1973-1975: Assistant Professor
- 1967-1970: Instructor
Research Fellow, Haley and Aldrich Inc.
2008, 2003, 1980-1981:
Research Fellow, Norwegian Geotechnical Institute
Selected Honors and Awards:
- 2004: Henry and Madeline Fischer Award, Tufts School of Engineering
- Elected Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Society of the Sigma Xi, MIT Chapter
- Tau Beta Pi, Mass Delta Chapter, Tufts University
- Chi Epsilon
- 1972: NSF Science Faculty Fellow, MIT
- 1967: Jonathan Whitney Fellowship, MIT
- Order of the Engineer, Tufts University
Selected Professional Activities:
- 2007-2008: Chair, Professional Practice and Ethics Leadership Award Committee, ASCE and ASFE
- 2001-2003: Governor, Foundation for Professional Practice, ASCE and ASFE
- 1999-2000: Secretary, The Engineering Center Education Trust
- 1996-1997: Chair, Vice Chair, Library Committee, The Engineering Center Education Trust
- 1991-2014: Tufts University Representative, Association of Soil and Foundation Engineers
- 1989-1990: President, Boston Society of Civil Engineers Section
- Technical Affiliate, International Association of Drilled Shaft Contractors
- Tufts University Representative, Transportation Research Board, National Research Council
- Registered Professional Engineer, MA Certificate 29016
Selected Funded Research:
- "Friction Pile Capacities in Vermont Silt", State of Vermont Department of Highways and U.S. Department of Transportation 1967-1969.
- "Dynamic Soils Laboratory Test Equipment", National Science Foundation, Instructional Scientific-Equipment Program. 1975-76.
- "Postdoctoral Research Fellowship", Royal Norwegian Council for Scientific and Industrial Research 1980-81.
- Innovative Teaching Award by Experimental College for Development of course on Toxic Waste Management. 1983.
- "Highway Design for Frost Susceptible Soils", Massachusetts Department of Public Works. 1985-87.
- "Submarine Slope Instabilities", Tufts Faculty Research Award. 1985. $600.
- "Direct Simple Shear Apparatus", Loan agreement with U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Waterways Experiment Station. 1985-88.
- "Field Station Feasibility Study", Tufts University Center for Environmental Management, U.S. EPA, 1987-88.
- "A Model for Predicting Long-Term Landfill Settlements", Tufts University Center for Environmental Management, U.S. EPA, 1989-90.
- "Design of Drilled Shafts for Strain Pole and Mast Arm Foundations", Massachusetts Department of Public Works, 1991-1994.
- GZA Fellowship in Geoenvironmental Engineering, 1991-1192.
- "Northeast Regional Academic Center for Institute for Professional Practice, 1992-.
- Project Bridge, Development of K-12 Curriculum Materials, with K. Camara, Tufts Education Department. NSF and Pew Trust, 1994.
- "Remediation of PCB Contaminated Sediments", Technical Support to Housatonic River Initiative, with Tufts CEM, Anne Marie Desmarais, and James Noble, US EPA, 1994.
- "Infrastructure Systems, Services and Climate Change: Integrated Impacts and Response Strategies for the Metropolitan Boston Area", non-PI participant, US EPA.
- "Research Fellowship", Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI), Geohazards Center of Excellence, January-June 2003.
- "Digital Boston Geotechnical Data Base", 2003-2005, Berger Family Tech. Transfer Endowment, Tufts University, Laurie Baise (PI).
American Society of Civil Engineers
International Society of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering
Association of Soil and Foundation Engineers