- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Certificate in Environmental Management
Complex regulations, environmental treaties, and multinational corporate environmental programs will determine how environmental managers approach their roles in the future.
The certificate in Environmental Management provides students with the tools and techniques they need to understand the complex issues of future environmental management. The program blends courses in fundamentals such as regulations and compliance issues, with leading edge concepts in life-cycle analysis, risk management, and remediation technologies. Students must complete five courses, including one course in each of three focus areas: environmental engineering and technology, environmental health, and policy. The two remaining courses can be selected from any of the focus areas.
Who Should Apply?
The program is open to students with a bachelor's degree and two years of work experience. Additionally, students should have some knowledge of current environmental issues, and should have undergraduate coursework in natural or physical science, mathematics, or engineering.
Students interested in earning a graduate degree can often apply all credits earned in the Certificate program toward a Tufts Master of Science degree in the Environmental Health or the Environmental and Water Resources Engineering tracks in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Program of Study
Certificate students must complete five graduate course credits from the clusters listed below. Students must take at least one course from each cluster.
- CEE 103 Water Quality Modeling
- CEE 113 Groundwater Hydrology
- CEE 136 Air Pollution Control
- CEE 138 Hazardous Waste Treatment Technology
- CEE 139 Bioremediation
- CEE 143 Site Remediation
- CEE 172 Fate and Transport of Environmental Contaminants
- CEE 184 Issues in Professional Engineering Practice
- CEE 187 Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- CEE 202 Environmental Statistics
Environmental Law, Management, and Policy
- CEE 201 Land Use Planning and Policy
- CEE 207 Environmental Law
- CEE 264 Hazardous Materials Management and Policy
- CEE 265 Corporate Management of Environmental Issues
- CEE 267 Methods in Environmental Impact Assessment
Health, Safety, and the Environment
- CEE 154 Principles of Epidemiology
- CEE 158 Occupational and Environmental Health
- CEE 164 Epidemiological Methods
- CEE 167 Environmental Toxicology
- CEE 173 Health Effects and Risk Assessment
- CEE 194 Field Methods for Global Health
(Students may substitute other Tufts graduate courses, subject to the approval of the certificate faculty advisor.)
This certificate is offered in collaboration with the Tufts Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Please see the Graduate Programs website for information about current tuition rates.
For course information, contact:
Certificate Faculty Advisor:
Anne Marie Desmarais (617) 627-3763